CAUSE and EFFECT ESSAY TOPICS
1.Causes of conflicts in families.
2.Each year, many teenagers run away from home. What do you think are the chief causes?
3.Explain why you would or would not want to live in a large city.
4.What are the main reasons people come to college?
5.What characteristics do you regard/consider as important in a person you would choose as a friend?
6.What are the essential characteristics of a good parent?
7.What do you think are the major causes of divorce?
8.What, in your opinion, are some of the reasons so many people have pets?
9.Do you prefer shopping at a large shopping center or at downtown stores?
10.Should Turkish students be required to learn a second language? Why or why not?
11.If you could ban anything in the world, what would it be and why?
12.What would cause you to end a friendship?
13.Why are many people afraid of growing old?
14.If you could change one thing about your childhood, what would it be?
15.Name your favorite game or sport and explain why you find it enjoyable.
16.What type of music do you prefer?
17.Why is football so popular?
18.Do you read the newspaper every day? Why or why not?
19.What is your favorite holiday? Why?
20.What animal do you like (or dislike) the most? Why?
21.What types of students do you like to have in your classes?
22.Should high school students be required to wear uniforms?
23.Should schools establish dress codes?
24.Explain why you do or do not smoke.
25.What region of your country does you like the most? Why?
26.Explain why you do or do not like having picnics.
27.Why are television talk shows so popular?
28.Why do many people prefer watching television news shows to reading newspapers?
29.Why do Americans eat so much junk food?
30.What kinds of people do you enjoy most?
31.Have computers made our lives easier or more complicated? Explain why you do or do not like to gamble.
32.Name someone you consider to be a modern hero or heroine and explain why.
33.Each year, many teenagers run away from home. What do you think are the chief causes?
34.Should every able-bodied citizen be required to serve for a certain period of time in some branch of the military service? Why or why not?
35.Think about your favorite author. What caused him/her to write as he/she did?
36.What are the main reasons people come to Fatih University?
37.What are the main reasons people come to university?
38.If you could change one important thing about your country, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.
39.People attend school for many different reasons (for example, expanded knowledge, societal awareness, and enhanced interpersonal relationships). Why do you think people decide to go to school? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
40.Some people think that the automobile has improved modern life. Others think that the automobile has caused serious problems. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
41.If you had the time and money to invent something new, what product would you develop? Use specific details to explain why this product is needed.
42.If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
43.When choosing a place to live, what do you consider most important: location, size, style, number of rooms, types of rooms, or other features? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.
COMPARE and CONTRAST ESSAY TOPICS
1. Being marriage and single
2. City life and country life
3. Communism & capitalism
4. Developed & underdeveloped countries
5. Developed countries with underdeveloped countries.
6. Fast food & Restaurants
7. Formal and informal language
8. Hard working and lazy people
9. Holiday in winter and in summer
10. Human workers with robots
11. Living alone and living with parents
12. Living in an apartment flat and house
13. Living in a traditional house or in a modern apartment building
14. Living with your family or on your own
15. Payment by credit cards or cash
16. Political parties in Turkey (leftwing & rightwing)
17. Private and state TV channels
18. Private university and state university
19. Suburb and city center
20. Team sports and individual sports
21. The likenesses and differences between two countries’ administration.
22. Traditional crowded families & modern families
23. Traveling by train and by plane
24. Two actors
25. Two civilizations
26. Two countries
27. Two countries’ custom
28. Two different centuries
29. Two football teams
30. Two jobs
31. Two languages
32. Two leaders
33. Two political systems.
34. Two politicians
35. Two writers
36. Urban life with rural life.
37. War and peace
38. Woman in the past and in new millenniumW
39. Working at home and in an office
ARGUMENTATIVE-OPINION-FOR & AGAINTS-ESSAYS
Do you agree or disagree with the following statements?
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
1. Boys and girls should attend separate schools.
2. Technology has made the world a better place to live.
3. Advertising can tell you a lot about a country.
4. Modern technology is creating a single world culture.
5. Children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school.
6. Telephones and e-mail have made communication between people less personal.
7. People behave differently when they wear different clothes. Do you agree that different clothes influence the way people behave?
8. Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable that watching movies.
9. Only people who earn a lot of money are successful.
10. A person’s childhood years (the time from birth to twelve years of age) are the most important years of a person’s life.
11. Watching television is bad for children.
12. Television has destroyed communication among friends and family.
13. Parents are the best teachers.
14. Police are unnecessary because they aren’t reducing crime.
15. Wars are always wrong.
16. Exams are not useful.
17. Inflation is the only problem of our country.
18. Motor and car racing should be banned.
19. The country should only be run by women.
20. Women shouldn’t work.
21. Some people think that only women should do the housework at home?
22. Are the exams necessary? Are they aimed at checking our knowledge or just causing stress?
23. Should religious education become compulsory at schools?
24. Everything bad for human health is a product of human science.
25. Money is the magic key to open every door. Discuss the above statement.
26. Human rights in Turkey
27. Should capital punishment (death penalty) be abolished or not. Give reasons.
28. Rich countries should spend their money and time on the poor instead of wasting them on space explorations.
29. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Internet for young people.
30. Having mixed classes with boys and girls is not advantageous so they should be separated. Do you agree or not? Give reasons.
31. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a roommate.
32. Some people think that only women should do the housework at home?
33.Everything bad for human health is a product of human science.
34. What’s your dream job? What job would you like to do after graduating from university? Explain why?
35. Do you think Turkey should be a member of the European Union? Give logical reasons.
36. If you had the power, what three things would you like to change in the world? Discuss giving reasonable evidence.
37. What are the difficulties students face while learning a foreign language? Discuss.
38. How do movies and TV serials influence young people’s behaviours? Support your thesis using specific reasons and examples.
39. In your opinion, what is a very important skill a person should acquire in order to be successful in today’s world? Choose one skill and use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
40. Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we do not need. Others say that advertisements introduce us the things that may improve our lives. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your ideas.
41. Women should have equal rights with men.